The June Halper Award for Excellence in MS Nursing represents leadership and creativity in the care of people with MS and their families. The award signifies an energy of purpose to provide the most up-to date comprehensive care possible.
June Halper is a certified adult nurse practitioner who has specialized in multiple sclerosis since 1978. She was a founder of the MS Center in Teaneck, New Jersey and was the Executive Director since through May 2008. Ms. Halper has been a leading source of direction and support for the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers, the largest organization of MS healthcare professionals in the world. She has published and lectured extensively. Ms. Halper’s publications include being editor of Comprehensive Nursing Care in Multiple Sclerosis and Advanced Concepts in Nursing Care in Multiple Sclerosis.
Ms. Halper is the founding director of the IOMSN, the International Organization of MS Nurses. She was inducted as a Fellow into the American Academy of Nursing in 1999.
• Nominated by peers - (total number of votes that each candidate receives)
• IOMSN member for a minimum of  years; The candidate must be MSCN certified
• Participate in clinical practice; Consistently demonstrates exemplary understanding and execution of the care of patients receiving MS Care
• Educates nurses, students, patients, multidisciplinary healthcare members, community
• Participates in research and/or promotes evidence based practices
• Contributes to the literature on issues regarding MS Care (includes articles in newsletters, journals, reports, video, multimedia, computer assisted instruction, or chapters in books)
• Advocates for MS patients in the clinical setting and in the community
• Leadership qualities
* Need to meet 6 of 8 predetermined criteria or all as established by the June Halper Award.
* Awards Committee will use a rating score of 0 - 4 to rate eligible candidates. If there is a tie, two awards may be awarded.
* The winner will be judged by the Awards Committee.
* The award will be presented at the IOMSN Dinner at the CMSC Annual Meeting.
SUSAN GALLARDO, RN, MSN, CRNP, MSCN
Thomas Jefferson University Comprehensive MS Center